Landlord / Tenant Proceedings


  • Proceedings to recover possession of premises and/or obtain a money judgment.
  • The action must be filed at the District Court in the county where the premises are located.
  • If there is a claim for money judgment on a landlord-tenant case, the District Court has jurisdiction up to $25,000. If a claim for money exceeds the court's jurisdiction, the District Court determines the possession issue and the Circuit Court determines the money portion.
  • Corporations and partnerships may not be represented in court by officers, directors, property managers or other employees who are not licensed to practice law in Michigan.
  • Law firms handling service and mailing may provide 1 complete Summons and Complaint and a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of paperwork.
  • Plaintiffs using computer generated Summons and Complaint may contact the court prior to filing for a case number and hearing date. The court must then be provided with enough copies for service and mailing for each defendant, along with addressed envelopes and adequate postage. Once a case number and hearing date has been obtained from the court, the paperwork must be filed within 2 days.

More Information

For more details about this type of proceeding, please view the Landlord / Tenant Handbook (PDF).