Veterans Property Tax Exemption

Michigan Public Act 161 of 2013

Effective November 12, 2013, you are eligible for residential property tax exemption if you meet at least 1 of the following criteria:

  • You have been determined by the United States Department of Veterans' Affairs to be permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service and are entitled to veterans' benefits at the 100% rate.
  • You have a certificate from the United States Department of Veteran's Affairs or its successors certifying that you have received pecuniary assistance under the Specially Adapted Housing Grant Program.
  • You are rated by the VA as Individually Unemployable.
  • You are a surviving, not remarried spouse of the veteran who was otherwise eligible under one of the previous criteria.
Go to the Frequently Asked Questions Guide prepared by the Michigan State Tax Commission.

You will need to provide your VA Disability Rating letter to your Township Assessor. Below is instructions on how you can log in each year and print it out on your own.

Instructions On How To Get Your VA Disability Rating Letter
l. Login to EBenefits At
2. Hover over the Manage tab Near the top of the page.
3. Click on Documents and Records.
4. Click VA Letters please wait for the page to load.
5. Near the center of the page at the top click Benefit Summary-Veterans Benefits.
6. Check all boxes that you want to have on the letter.
7. Near the bottom click Generate Benefits Summary Letter.
8. Right click anywhere on the page, then click PRINT

If you believe that you may be eligible for the property tax exemption, please contact the Township Assessor's Office where you reside.

  1. Veterans Affairs

    Physical Address
    2650 LaFranier Road
    Traverse City, MI 49686


    Fax: 231-929-1983