After the birth or adoption of a child with special needs, parents sometimes have questions. Families may wonder where to get help. There are many programs in Michigan, some free, and some run by parents who want to share information. Below is a list of resources that may help you now or in the future.

Statewide Resources

Local Resources

  • Grand Traverse County Health Department
    2600 LaFranier Road
    Traverse City, MI
    Phone: 231-995-6130
  • Munson Medical Center, Phone: 231-935-5000
  • Specialty Clinics
    106 Madison Street
    Traverse City, MI
    Call for types of clinics 231-935-8125
  • Dental Clinics North Medicaid, Health Kids, MIChild, CSHCS 877-321-7070 Toll Free
  • Youth Health and Wellness Center at TBAISD for Students age 10 to 21
    880 Parsons
    Traverse City, MI
    Phone: 231-922-6416
  • Traverse Health Clinic Primary and Preventive Adult Health Care
    23147 Logan Valley Road
    Traverse City
    Phone: 231-935-0668
  • Social Security Office
    1329 S Division Street
    Traverse City
    Phone: 866-739-4802
    Phone: 800-772-1213
  • Department of Human Services Serving Grand Traverse County and Leelanau County 231-941-3900 800-642-3195
  • MIChild Insurance children under 19
    P.O. Box 30412
    Lansing, MI 48909
    Phone: 888-988-6300
  • Pine Rest Counseling Services 231-947-2255
  • Community Mental Health Children's Waiver Program and Family Support Subsidy 231-922-4850
  • Third Level Crisis Center Crisis Prevention Hotline open - 24 hours 231-922-4800 800-442-7315
  • Traverse Bay Area Early-On 231-922-6397 or 800-327-5966
  • Way to Grow: Play Groups at TBAISD 231-922-6437
  • Parent Helpline Open 24 hours 800-942-HELP
  • MSU Cooperative Extension Parents as Teachers (birth-30 months) 231-922-4621
  • Small Talk Munson Medical Center 231-935-9001

National Organizations