County Resident Applicants

What You Need to Apply

  • Marriage Application
  • Current driver’s license or state identification card with the correct address.
  • Birth certificates (Certified or Photocopy of Certified) showing parents’ full names.   Certified copies of birth certificates are issued by the County Clerk or State Register and have an impressed court seal on them.  Hospital certificates with foot prints on the back are not acceptable. 
  • Foreign born applicants must provide a valid passport, permanent resident alien card, naturalization certificate or certified copy of a birth certificate (with English translation).
  • Applicable Fee


  • Grand Traverse County Applicants: $20
  • 3-Day Waiver: $100


  • Persons 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parent’s consent.
  • Persons age 16 and 17 must have written consent of 1 parent listed on the birth certificate who must appear at the time of application with the minor. Valid identification of applicant and parent is required.
  • If you have been divorced, we do not require a copy of the divorce decree but you must wait 21 days (appeal period per MCR 2.614(A)(1)) if it was a "Default" or "Contested Judgment of Divorce" before applying for a new marriage license.